- 1 ½ cups flour, plus more for rolling
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons shortening (Crisco)
- 1egg yolk, lightly beaten
- ¾ lb. red cherries pitted and cut in half
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- ¼ cup cherry jam or preserves
- 1 beaten egg with 2 tbsp water, (egg wash)
- In a food processor, add flour salt, and sugar and pulse until incorporated. Add butter and shortening and pulse until it becomes crumbly. Slowly add in egg and pulse until a dough forms. If the dough seems dry, you can add cold water starting at 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Gather dough in a ball and let rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out dough into a 9-inch tart pan and line with parchment paper and baking weights or beans. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Pit and cut cherries in half. Add almond extract and mix until incorporated.
- Take dough out of the oven and add the cherry jam to the bottom of the crust. Arrange the cherries cut side down in a pattern starting with the outside and working your way inside. Using a pastry brush, brush the outer crust with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until crust is browned and fruit has gently cooked.