- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1.5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar or 1tsp of sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, from 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, from 1-1/2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup scallions
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 3 tbsp. chopped peanuts
- ½ cup shredded carrots
Lettuce & Toppings
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce
- Lime wedges
- Cut off the stem of lettuce, and remove outer pieces of lettuce and throw away. Pull apart leaves and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients for the Thai sauce in small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 4-5 minutes. Add the ground chicken and turn the heat up to high. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon until partially cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add the Thai sauce to the meat mixture and cook for a few more minutes. Take off heat. Stir in the scallions, cilantro, mint and peanuts, shredded carrots. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Spoon into lettuce cups and serve with a lime wedge.